Hello.

   I received a fortune cookie today some here may like:
It is harder to ask the right questions than
to find answers for the wrong questions.
Lucky # 6,8,38,40,45

   A perceived problem I am trying to solve is that sending mail from
eudora win 4.3 or 5.1 with AUTH enabled to a qmail server I administrate
results in unsent email in the outgoing eudora queue when the password
given is incorrect. Well, that's not the problem really. But since the
error code is 553, it results in a broken mail entry which will requires
manual requeue dexterity. The very users who can't type their password
are the ones who need to do this, but I fear they will not see the rcpthosts
error message and move on to some other tasks, mail never sent, thinking
it the message it on it's way (or with qmail, there already).
   Any ideas on good things to try? I could modify the rcpthosts message
to be more "got the password wrong there buddy, or foiled relay attempt".
I'm wondering if a 400 level message might be better, since at least it
would requeue and succeed later with another future password prompt.
(non-users relaying attempts will then suffer return trips though - very bad?)
   There it is. any wise thoughts here?

Thanks
John