I've got a box (peculiar.differentpla.net) running qmail, and
qmail-pop3d.  It's working fine when delivering email to local users,
and users can collect their email via POP3.

However, certain of my users connect via an ISP (Pipex Dial), and that
ISP doesn't seem to allow you to send email via their server, unless
you've authenticated with the POP server.  This could be an erroneous
assumption -- I'm trying to diagnose this problem over the phone, and
it's entirely possible that ir's something else entirely.

So, to recap: The user in question is using peculiar as the POP3
server, and smtp.dial.pipex.com as the SMTP server.  They can't send
email.

I've suggested changing the SMTP server to peculiar, also.  Now, as I
understand it, this is effectively making myself an open relay --
which is a bad thing.

What solutions are there to this problem?  I'd like to allow people
with local mailboxes (and POP3 access) to send email via peculiar as
well.

Hopefully, I'll be able to diagnose the problem more fully this
weekend, but I'm still interested in how people do this.

Cheers,
Roger.