Well, I solved it by getting the patch from another source
(http://www.kvikkjokk.net/~oden/softwares/qmail/SOURCES/) and it worked
without any problems. I guess either Nutscrape messed up in the cut and
paste or the patch on qmail.org isn't quite up-to-date.
At any rate, qmail is up and running now with several patches flawlessly
applied so I'm a happy camper. Now, if only I could figure out why the
radius server keeps locking up...

> Hmmm.  Have you checked to see if there's a newer version from the
> author's site (untroubled.org)?  I don't run with QMAILQUEUE myself at
> the moment, but it's not typical of Bruce to release a patch that
> doesn't apply cleanly, especially against a static target.
>
> What version of patch do you use?  If it's the one included by your OS
> vendor, and it's not GNU patch, try using GNU patch instead.

Some age-old Slackware release in desperate need of an upgrade (or, more
likely, replacement by OpenBSD) using the supplied GNU patch 2.5.3.
However, the qmail.org patch fails on my openbsd 2.8 systems too (Patch
v2.0, patch level 12u8).

Lars Hansson
Whatever