John P <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If I have a load of mail on a system with a single POP3 mailbox for various
> users, can I get qmail to 'pick up' this mail and deliver it to local users'
> mailboxes?

If the POP3 server is running qmail as well, you can install Dan's AutoTURN
package -- an automatic ETRN-like way of getting the mail delivered.  It's not
"picking up" so much as telling the POP3 server "my connectio is up, you can
deliver mail to me now".

> We currently have another system (running S**dmail) that 'pushes' this mail
> to our server and we want to change it over so we can pick up the mail if
> there's any problems with our server's Internet connection (as there has
> been recently).

Unnecessary.  Make your box the primary MX for your domain, and the other box
a secondary MX.

> Or is this something completely separate from qmail?

It's not part of qmail proper.  If all else fails (and the admin of the other
box is uncooperative) you could always use a POP3 retriever to get the mail,
and then deliver it on your box.  As it happens, v.2.1.0 of getmail was
released yesterday :).  See the link in my .sig if you're interested.

Charles