Andrew J Herbert wrote:

> I've now played with qmail_ldap, but fail to see that I can implement it
> in the same structure as everything else, as it seems primarily geared
> toward 'virtual users'.

 You want qmail-ldap. If these are mail servers, why do users need to
have a system account? They aren't administrators. I run several
qmail-ldap servers, with only system accounts for the IT staff. Even if
they need a system account, you can store their mail in
/var/qmail/maildirs owned and grouped to the qmail-ldap daemons, and
make them use pine over IMAP or pop.

 UW-Imap is a resource HOG. You have to patch it twice to get it to work
in your setup, and you have to recompile it when you make configuration
changes. Low tech. Courier Imap has native support for ldap
authentication and maildirs, has low memory requirements, and can be
reconfigured without recompiling.

Regards,
Mike