>> I know i recall seeing it somewhere but for some reason can't place it.
>> Anyone know where there is a fetchmail replacement that does Maildir rather
>> than mbox?
> getmail -- http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/getmail-2.0/

 getmail is a really nice tool, but why reinvent the wheel ?
 Mail delivery, be it mbox, Maildir, or whatever, is not a POP3 client's
job. It's the job of an MDA.

 There are 2 possible ways to handle a mail retrieved by a POP3 client.
 - If you don't know where the mail should go : then pass it to an MTA,
for instance with SMTP. The MTA will then decide what to do.
 That's what fetchmail does.
 - If you do know that the mail is local : then pass it to an MDA. The
MDA will the perform the delivery for you, with all its hassles.
 That's what fetchmail --mda does.
 In any case, performing Maildir delivery, or whatever, is reimplementing
part of an MDA : why bother ?

 I have written a simple wrapper around qmail-local, so that it can be
called directly (not part of a whole qmail installation), as an MDA,
by other programs. That's how I deliver my fetchmail-retrieved mails :
it gives me Maildirs, aliases, .qmail processing, the whole business.
I can publish the script if you're interested.
( btw I'm not on the qmail list... so... )

--
 Ska