Alfonso Armenta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Although in my log quote I used fake addresses those were just slightly
> changed. The usual protect the innocent (not from the regulars from this
> list, of course).
>
> Actually I do remember obtaining one of those messages and log entries when
> I tried to subscribe to this list. Which would mean that q-mail smtp daemons
> do give this Remote_host_said:____ response.

"sender was rejected" usually means that the remote SMTP server issued a 5xx
or 4xx code after the MAIL FROM: command.  This can be due to DNS problems
when remote sites use bogus anti-spam measures.

You'll also see this with some sites that reject empty envelope senders (i.e.,
you can't send a bounce to them).

In general, sites that use either of these strategies aren't worth sending
mail to.

Charles