Thorkild Stray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >The reason you won't find much advice on inetd/xinetd configurations here is
> >because use of inetd and xinetd are deprecated.  tcpserver is simpler, more
> >reliable, more flexible, and more efficient.
>
> One thing that xinetd apparantly gives you is a way of doing resource
> control. For example if someone pops each and every second, they will
> block connection to your systems.

Err -- this is the whole problem.  If you're running inetd, I can get your
system to shut off the POP3 service for ten minutes simply by initiating five
or ten connections in a few seconds.  This is a bug, not a feature.

> As far as I can tell you, tcpserver does not give you any advanced resource
> management features.

On the contrary; tcpserver lets you set concurrency limits, which inetd cannot
do.  All other limits are provided by your OS, or by softlimit.

Charles