From: Matt Simonsen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 6:31 PM
To: Qmail@List. Cr. Yp. To
Subject: Large messages terminated with error?

Hello all-

Some background. I have a Qmail server running RedHat 7.0 version 1.03,
along with courier-imap 1.2.3 (just the IMAP part) + vpopmail 4.9.8. It is
off-site from our office, and for 130 days the whole email system has been
flawless, even through the 3 times our office has changed IPs. Then we
recently got a new data line in our office (sDSL to a local router that is
connected to a T1) and problems began. Not necessairly the email server's
fault, perhaps, but definately related.

The only change is that I have changed is that I added our new domain to the
tcp.smtp file and then ran "tcprules /home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb
/home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.tmp < /home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp". Even without
this, though, it sent mail fine since vpopmail does pop authentication.

The tcp.smtp file looks like:
127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
64.156.209.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""

Now for the problem:

I cannot send a large (10 mb) message, the kicker is that when I do it also
takes our office internet connection down for 30-90 seconds! The only
symptoms I have been able to track down is that it appears to transfer at
least most of message to the queue on the qmail server (as du -h shows me).
Also, outlook 2000 gives an error message saying, "TCP/IP connection was
unexpectedly terminated by the server. Server responded: '354 go ahead'
Account: zMatt @ Careercast.com', SMTP server 'email.careercast.com' Number
0x800ccc0f. Netscape  The same time the error appears our data connection
dies. We can't even ping the first router. Then it comes up after a short
while...

I have no idea what is happening here, I don't think our ISP does either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, please let me know if I can provide
any more information.

Thanks
Matt