In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:
> I was running qmail-pop3d from inetd on FreeBSD 4.3 with no problems
> getting my mail.  I took a suggestion and moved to running it under
> tcpserver.  Now using the same username and password I get a -ERR
> authorization failed.
>
> qmail-pop3d start script:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
>      /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -l 0 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup \
>          mail.oims.net /bin/checkpoppasswd relay-ctrl-allow
> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1
>
> the program /bin/checkpoppasswd worked just fine under inetd.
>
> Now, even when I try /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup mail.oims.net
> /bin/checkpoppasswd and enter USER myusername and PASS mypassword
>
> I get the same error.  the checkpoppasswd came form Paul Gregg's projects
> (http://www.pgregg.com/projects/)
>
> Any suggestions?

Turn on auth.warning in syslog.conf, then check your syslog messages
to see where it is failing.

My guess tho is that relay-ctrl-allow is not in the cleaned out $PATH
of the tcpserver/checkpoppasswd environment and so the execvp() is failing.
Solution: specify the full path to relay-ctrl-allow

Paul.
--
Signature files available here:
Personal:  http://www.pgregg.com/sigs/personal_sig.txt