"Dave Sill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >>Unix file system inode numbers are not truly random.  Therefore, it's
> >>wise to choose a prime conf-split.
>
> BTW, I modified my modhash program to read numbers from stdin, fed it
> lists of real, live inode numbers, and guess what? It still makes no
> difference whether you use a prime hash or not.

That just proves that on your system it doesn't matter much.  It
doesn't prove much about the range of Unix filesystems out there.

In my last message I tried to show that, all else being equal, a prime
modulos is more likely to give a good result.  That can be true even
if in a particular case a prime modulos makes no difference.

Ian