Moritz Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm using /etc/rc to start the tcpserver process because I read it in
> Running qmail; Richard Blum. To quote him on that: "Once the qmail-smtpd
> boot script is created, it must be run from a system boot script. On a
> FreeBSD system this can be the /etc/rc script." Because the qmail-smtpd
> script just contained the tcpserver line I thought it's no big deal to write
> it directly into /etc/rc.

It is a big deal, if you don't understand what you're putting in there.

> Anyways, I or the book, one of us sucks. Maybe both.

No.  You're a newbie.  You don't suck.  The book, from the opinions of
knowledgable qmail experts on this list, appears to suck quite badly.  The
advice you quote above is further evidence of this.

> But thanks for the hint I'm going to read "Life with qmail" and I'm removing
> my entries from /etc/rc.

Yes, "Life with qmail" is definitely the way to go for most novices.

Charles