> Hi,
>
> I've read all that I can find on the subject and tried to build this
> setup a few different ways with a few peoples patches and all with no
> luck.
>
> I built checkpassword .9 setup for MySQL... if I test it it works.
>
> I built qmail-smtpd with the patch to authenticate and call checkpassword.
> Eric M. Johnston's YAQSAP.
>
> Unfortunately when I put it together it doesn't work.  The behavior I see
> is that it does not respond to the connection and I also see another
> qmail-smtpd process fire up and get stuck.  I can make a check password
that
> always _exit(1) or _exit(0) and then the authentication process seems to
> work... the dialog box pops up in Outlook.
>
> Any ideas?  Even some suggestions on how to better debug would be great
> because I find that qmail-smtpd does not log any error messages.

While I wasn't using the checkpassword setup for MySQL (I'm using the 4.10.x
series of vpopmail), I had a similar experiance.  Make sure that the
checkpassword program that you are using is written so it's using exit(1)
not exit(0) for everything except a successfull authentication.  Once I made
those changes to vchkpw, it worked like a champ.

> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Dave W