Mike Culbertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This has been a modestly common subject, but after scouring the lists
> repeatedly, I have seen no complete answer.  Actually getting the IPs logged
> is no problem...I am using the LWQ style multilog logging, getting info from
> tcpserver.  The question I have yet to see answered is: What now?
> I have seen no discernable way to easily correlate the data found in the
> qmail-send logs and the tcpserver\qmail-smtpd logs.

Unfortunately, qmail-smtpd logs nothing itself, and tcpserver only logs
connections and exit status of qmail-smtpd.  There is therefore no surefire
way to correlate entries in the qmail-smtpd log and the qmail-send logs.
However, it is rarely critical -- qmail-analog can determine from the
qmail-send log alone which messages arrived over the network.

A "good 'nuff" approximation is simply using timestamps of the two logs to
correlate.

> Is there a tool availble that I have missed?  I wouldn't be opposed to
> writing one, but better to find out first.

Various people have posted patches to qmail-smtpd to make it log more
information.  You could also do it by writing a wrapper around qmail-queue
(used only by qmail-smtpd, not qmail-inject or forward, etc) which logs
various info.

Charles