On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 09:34:39PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Brian Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >   In summary, I am having problems with emails getting stuck when fetched
> > from qmail-pop3d. They are almost always attached MS Word documents. They
> > aren't necessarily long, I've got 32k messages that do it and 1M messages.
> >
> >   I'm running on kernel 2.0.39, qmail 1.03, daemontools 0.70, ucspi-tcp 0.88
> > and a slightly modified checkpassword to handle pop accounts in my virtual
> > domains. This system has been in place since 1999 and has always had an
> > occasional problem but recently I am getting 1 or 2 messages a week that are
> > sticking.
>
> I assume you mean Linux kernel 2.0.39?  What patches?  What vendor's kernel?
> Or did you compile from a Linus tarball?

  Sorry, Linux 2.0.39 on what used to be a RH 5.2 system but has been
heavily upgraded over the years. The kernel itself is from an un-patched
tarball.

> >   I have 2 different cases where this happens. The first is when my home
> > system, using fetchmail, is downloading messages. If the home machine's
> > MTU/MRU is set to 1500 or 1480 the messages in question will hang. If I
> > change the MRU to 576 then they pass through. I don't know if any messages
> > hang using 576, but I haven't seen any.
>
> This smells strongly of a kernel TCP/IP bug.  qmail-pop3d knows nothing of
> packets or MTU -- it just sees a couple of fds.  Linux has had a couple of real
> bad bugs like this in the past; a long-standing one wasn't fixed until very
> recently in 2.2.19.  You could be running into this bug.

  I'm afraid that its something like that. I was hoping my upgrade to 2.0.39
would fix any odd kernel bugs. I've been avoiding a complete upgrade because
it means a total system rebuild and I really hate doing that. It looks like
a rebuild is probably in the future, unless anyone has a better suggestion.

  Thanks,

  Brian

--
Brian C. Lane - Linux Programmer/Consultant/Writer         www.brianlane.com