John R. Levine writes:
> I see that if the first line of a .qmail file is blank, qmail-local
> dies with a temporary failure code.  Other blank lines are ignored,
> but there's a specific test and a failure message "Uh-oh: first line of
> .qmail file is blank. (#4.2.1)"
>
> Anyone know why?  It's documented in the man page, but even for DJB
> code, it seems awfully arbitrary.

Just guessing, but suppose that a .qmail file consists of
one or more blank lines only. Since it is not empty, the
default delivery instruction does not apply. And it does not
contain any instruction for qmail-local to follow.

By requiring that the first line of a .qmail file is not
blank, qmail-local can always identify a set of delivery
instructions.

--
Tetsu Ushijima