Charles Cazabon wrote:

> Andreas Grip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't think this is a great idea; it means you have to accept every message,
> > > then scan them, then generate late bounces, instead of rejecting them during
> > > the initial SMTP conversation.
> >
> > qmail-scanner do not reject them, it just bounce them.
>
> I think you're mistaken, although I don't use qmail-scanner.  Issuing a 4xx or
> 5xx code after DATA _is_ rejecting a message -- it's also a bounce, although
> if it's done during the SMTP conversation, the sending MTA is responsible for
> generating the bounce message.

Nope, I'm not misstaken. An infected mail is not rejected while my smtp
server is receiving the mail, it turn of the connection with an ok. No
bounce at this time. And then it sends an bounce to the sender with
virus warning message.

> > And what diffrent should that make if the bunce is a few minutes late? It
> > will be late for the sender anyway because they use their ISP:s smtp server
> > and the mail will be sended from that to my smtp server that scan the mail.
>
> There's a big difference.  See above.  Late bounces have to be generated by
> your MTA and delivered; if the message is bounced during the initial SMTP
> conversion, the bounce message is the responsibility of the sending MTA, not
> the receiving one.

Maybe there should be an idea to change the behavior of qmail-scanner so
it reject the mail instead of accepting it. But then where can not be so
much details in the virus report because the sending smtp do not know
anything about the virus.

> > > What problem are you trying to solve?  Why do you think making the SMTP
> > > client wait a minute or two is a bad idea?
> >
> > Well, a smtp-server receiving a lot of mail can reach the limit of maximum
> > allowed simultanius connection. If the smtp server close the connection
> > faster there will be more time over and the server is able to receive more
> > mail. So I think a server, that are faster with closing the connection
> > should be more efficient.
>
> Profile, don't speculate.  You're trying to solve a problem that doesn't
> exist.

I'm not trying to solve a problem that dosen't exist. I'm just trying to
make sure that there will not be any problems.