Daniel Kelley wrote:

>sorry, i'll try to be more explicit.  what i meant by the 'how are you
>startinh qmail-smtpd' comment was, are you binding tcpserver to a specific
>interface?

my /services/qmail-smtpd/run file:

#!/bin/sh
QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
    /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -R -l 0 -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c
"$MAXSMTPD" \
        -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1

FYI, I'm also back to a plain vanilla qmail, no patches.

>as for envs, AFAIK, you never need to set anything via tcpserver to get
>the by line in Received: to show up properly.

Ok.

>also, when i try the same test you did, here's what i get:

>  by localhost with SMTP; 11 Jul 2001 02:53:30 -0000
>
>as opposed to telnet mx1.hq.ny.otec.net:

>  by mx1.hq.ny.otec.net with SMTP; 11 Jul 2001 02:54:49 -0000

Yes, that is what I would expect.  I just tried setting my
/etc/resolv.conf to a known good nameserver instead of my local
tinydns/dnscache which I could have misconfigured.

>granted, i don't get "by 0 with SMTP", but this may have more to do
>with your OS than qmail.

RH 6.2, kernel 2.2.17.

>additionally, i looked at the source:  i could be wrong (someone please
>correct me if i am), but i think that the Received: line is added by
>qmail-queue, not qmail-smtpd.

qmail-queue does add a "Received" line, but its not the same line.
 Below, qmail-queue added the first recieved line, qmail-smtpd added the
second.

  by 0 with SMTP; 11 Jul 2001 03:21:36 -0000

Thanks for helping me.

Uh, looking back over my data, the tcpserver line has a "0" in the
location the tcpserver --help says should be a hostname.  Is this my
problem?  If so, I'd feel like a complete dumbass except for I just
checked and its like that in the LWQ text.

-Trevor