Greg Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I want to put in a single machine that acts as a central mail gateway
> for an organization. All mail for every domain related to the
> organization will initially arrive there and be farmed out to the
> various branch mail servers (each which have one or more individual
> domains).

Okay, that's easy; you put each branch domain in rcpthosts, and give it
an appropriate smtproutes entry.

> Next I would like to offer every user in the organization a mail address
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> (Regardless of where they reside in the organization).

Alright.  company.com becomes a virtual domain on the central server.
You can then forward mail from various users in it to the various branch
domains using .qmail files, or perhaps with the fastforward package.
You'd do this with something like this in virtualdomains:

    company.com:alias-company

and ~alias/.qmail-company-default containing:

    |fastforward

> The problem I am trying to resolve is where <user3> mails <user4> at
> the address <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> I do not want the mail to be sent back
> to the central mail server and then returned to the address
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.  Instead I would like the branch mail server
> to realise that <user4> is a local user and just deliver the mail to
> <user4>'s local mail store.

This becomes difficult with stock qmail -- you end up having to
distribute some form of mapping from users to branch domains.  It's
possible, again with fastforward or .qmail files, but it's an
administrative hassle.

LDAP comes to mind as a solution here -- either an LDAP PAM module an
unpatched qmail, or qmail-ldap.  I'm afraid I can't offer much advice on
qmail-ldap.

Charles