On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 10:41:54AM -0500, Q wrote:
> We have been getting some e-mails sent from a virus some people have.  I am
> trying to block them out using the badmailfrom file, but it doesn't seem to
> be working the way I need it to.  The e-mail has a:
>
> From: Hahaha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> in the header, so I put [EMAIL PROTECTED] in the badmailfrom file.

qmail-smtpd doesn't look at the header. It looks at the envelope sender, and
the envelope sender on these messages is empty.

> Whenever I try to send a test message with the from address of
> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" it gets blocked like it should.  However when the
> actual mail gets sent from someone that has the virus, it does not get
> blocked.  I checked the logs and this seems to be because qmail is saying
> that it is from <> because there is a:

> in the header too.  Is there any way I can block messages that have a null
> Return-Path or a way to have qmail check the badmailfrom against the From:
> header instead of the Return-Path one?

You must not block messages with a null envelope sender; this is the way
bounces are delivered. And qmail-smtpd will not check the From: header under
any circumstances.

If you want to block this kind of mail, you'll probably want to look at one of
the various anti-virus packages. See http://www.qmail.org.

Chris

PGP signature