qmail Digest 16 Jul 2001 10:00:00 -0000 Issue 1427

Topics (messages 66003 through 66029):

Re: qmail-smtpd error?
        66003 by: Henning Brauer

Re: selective relaying
        66004 by: Johannes Huettemeister
        66005 by: Dushyanth Harinath
        66006 by: Henning Brauer
        66007 by: Johannes Huettemeister

Re: Alias Error
        66008 by: Charles Cazabon
        66009 by: Bob Ross
        66011 by: Mike Scher
        66013 by: Bob Ross
        66014 by: Bob Ross
        66015 by: Bob Ross
        66017 by: Joshua Nichols
        66018 by: Bob Ross
        66019 by: Bob Ross

[[EMAIL PROTECTED]: Re: error in mail delivery - after connection established
nothing hap pens for 30 sec & connection  resets]
        66010 by: Henning Brauer
        66020 by: Johannes Huettemeister
        66026 by: Adam McKenna
        66028 by: Todd Lyons

supervise question
        66012 by: David Dahl
        66016 by: Lukas Beeler
        66021 by: David Dahl
        66022 by: Lukas Beeler
        66024 by: Adrian Ho
        66027 by: David Dahl

Help with virtual domains - mail bouncing
        66023 by: Matt Fearnow

Hi
        66025 by: michel

virtual aliases
        66029 by: Maciej Bogucki

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 02:06:57AM -0700, Kenneth wrote:
> Martin,
>
> You are probably going to need xinetd or tcpserver in the near future

Use tcpserver, no [x|y|z]inetd or whoever it is called today. Really.
Especially if you expect help from this list or any long-term qmail user -
we all know tcpserver very well, nobody knows inetd.

Reinstall your box according to http://www.lifewithqmail.org/.

--
* Henning Brauer, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.bsws.de *
* Roedingsmarkt 14, 20459 Hamburg, Germany               *

On Sun Jul 15, 2001 at 11:5120AM +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 09:07:39AM +0200, Johannes Huettemeister wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > as it seems I don`t really understand selective relaying. I
> > configured qmail the way that I thought it only would relay for my
> > localhost, but it also relays for the pcs on the local net.
>
> You forgot to mention (and describe precise) your problem.

hi henning,
ok, I`ll give it another try: I`m looking for a reason, why my qmail
server allows relaying for the other pcs on my local net. I tried to
configure it only to relay for the localhost. I hope I included all
necessary configuration files in my last mail.
the computer qmail is running on, but actually it seems to me I do.
johannes

ps: and sorry for also sending PM, I forgot to tell mutt about this
list :-)

Hi,
check out...
http://www.palomine.net/qmail/relaying.html

regards
dushyanth

> On Sun Jul 15, 2001 at 11:5120AM +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 09:07:39AM +0200, Johannes Huettemeister
>> wrote:
>> > hi,
>> >
>> > as it seems I don`t really understand selective relaying. I
>> > configured qmail the way that I thought it only would relay for my
>> > localhost, but it also relays for the pcs on the local net.
>>
>> You forgot to mention (and describe precise) your problem.
>
> hi henning,
> ok, I`ll give it another try: I`m looking for a reason, why my qmail
> server allows relaying for the other pcs on my local net. I tried to
> configure it only to relay for the localhost. I hope I included all
> necessary configuration files in my last mail.
> the computer qmail is running on, but actually it seems to me I do.
> johannes
>
> ps: and sorry for also sending PM, I forgot to tell mutt about this

--
Dushyanth Harinath
Archean Infotech Limited
Ph No:091-040-3228666,6570704,3228674
http://www.archeanit.com

This email was sent using SquirrelMail.
   "Webmail for nuts!"
http://squirrelmail.org/

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 01:03:34PM +0200, Johannes Huettemeister wrote:
> the computer qmail is running on, but actually it seems to me I do.

You still failed to show us _why_ you think you are relaying. Show us a
complete SMTP session where you think it is realying but shouldn't, and in
the same mail post the contens of control/rcpthosts and your tcpserver's
acces control file.

> ps: and sorry for also sending PM, I forgot to tell mutt about this
> list :-)

Oh yeah, know that ;-))

--

On Sun Jul 15, 2001 at 01:2932PM +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:

> You still failed to show us _why_ you think you are relaying. Show us a
> complete SMTP session where you think it is realying but shouldn't, and in
> the same mail post the contens of control/rcpthosts and your tcpserver's
> acces control file.

Hi,
you're totally right, I forgot top post the logs and outputs.
So I telneted from a different host and ...: Relaying was rejected!
So sorry for bothering around, right now I just have _no_ idea why I
thought I'd run an open Relayserver.
Strange thing, must be the headache I got all day...
Thx && sorry for useless traffic.
regards johannes

Bob Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> delivery 10: deferral: Unable_to_find_alias_user!/

qmail requires a system user account named "alias".  It's part of a
standard install.  If you didn't install according to "Life with qmail",
perhaps you should start over by following that.

Charles

Yes it's there.

nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/:
alias:x:1000:102::/var/qmail/alias:
qmaild:x:1001:102::/var/qmail:
qmaill:x:1002:102::/var/qmail:
qmailp:x:1003:102::/var/qmail:
qmailq:x:1004:103::/var/qmail:
qmailr:x:1005:103::/var/qmail:

Then under /var/qmail/alias

It has the .qmail-default
etc..

Thanks
Bob Ross

Qmail makes the determination in qmail-getpw after determining the
local part:

        pw = getpwnam(username);

What does:

/var/qmail/bin/qmail-getpw alias

...return?

It should be something like:

alias1000102/var/qmail/alias

If it's not, you have some kind of problem there.

Is the alias user in shadow as well?

      -M

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Bob Ross wrote:

> Yes it's there.
>
> nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/:
> alias:x:1000:102::/var/qmail/alias:
> qmaild:x:1001:102::/var/qmail:
> qmaill:x:1002:102::/var/qmail:
> qmailp:x:1003:102::/var/qmail:
> qmailq:x:1004:103::/var/qmail:
> qmailr:x:1005:103::/var/qmail:
>
> Then under /var/qmail/alias
>
> It has the .qmail-default
> etc..
>
> Thanks
> Bob Ross

      Michael Brian Scher  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                         Sr. Research Consultant
                  Attorney, Anthropologist, Part-Time Guru
                   Mailaise: n, ('mail-aze).  See Outlook.

It gave me.

alias1000102/var/qmail/alias

> Qmail makes the determination in qmail-getpw after determining the
> local part:
>
>         pw = getpwnam(username);
>

> What does:
>
> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-getpw alias
>
> ...return?
>
> It should be something like:
>
> alias1000102/var/qmail/alias
>
> If it's not, you have some kind of problem there.
>
> Is the alias user in shadow as well?
>
>       -M
>
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Bob Ross wrote:
>
> > Yes it's there.
> >
> > nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/:
> > alias:x:1000:102::/var/qmail/alias:
> > qmaild:x:1001:102::/var/qmail:
> > qmaill:x:1002:102::/var/qmail:
> > qmailp:x:1003:102::/var/qmail:
> > qmailq:x:1004:103::/var/qmail:
> > qmailr:x:1005:103::/var/qmail:
> >
> > Then under /var/qmail/alias
> >
> > It has the .qmail-default
> > etc..
> >
> > Thanks
> > Bob Ross

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/

>       Michael Brian Scher  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                          Sr. Research Consultant
>                   Attorney, Anthropologist, Part-Time Guru
>                    Mailaise: n, ('mail-aze).  See Outlook.

Yes it's in shadow.

> Qmail makes the determination in qmail-getpw after determining the
> local part:
>
>         pw = getpwnam(username);
>

> What does:
>
> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-getpw alias
>
> ...return?
>
> It should be something like:
>
> alias1000102/var/qmail/alias
>
> If it's not, you have some kind of problem there.
>
> Is the alias user in shadow as well?
>
>       -M
>
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Bob Ross wrote:
>
> > Yes it's there.
> >
> > nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/:
> > alias:x:1000:102::/var/qmail/alias:
> > qmaild:x:1001:102::/var/qmail:
> > qmaill:x:1002:102::/var/qmail:
> > qmailp:x:1003:102::/var/qmail:
> > qmailq:x:1004:103::/var/qmail:
> > qmailr:x:1005:103::/var/qmail:
> >
> > Then under /var/qmail/alias
> >
> > It has the .qmail-default
> > etc..
> >
> > Thanks
> > Bob Ross

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/

>       Michael Brian Scher  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                          Sr. Research Consultant
>                   Attorney, Anthropologist, Part-Time Guru
>                    Mailaise: n, ('mail-aze).  See Outlook.

Yes it's in shadow also.

> Qmail makes the determination in qmail-getpw after determining the
> local part:
>
>         pw = getpwnam(username);
>

> What does:
>
> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-getpw alias
>
> ...return?
>
> It should be something like:
>
> alias1000102/var/qmail/alias
>
> If it's not, you have some kind of problem there.
>
> Is the alias user in shadow as well?
>
>       -M
>
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Bob Ross wrote:
>
> > Yes it's there.
> >
> > nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/:
> > alias:x:1000:102::/var/qmail/alias:
> > qmaild:x:1001:102::/var/qmail:
> > qmaill:x:1002:102::/var/qmail:
> > qmailp:x:1003:102::/var/qmail:
> > qmailq:x:1004:103::/var/qmail:
> > qmailr:x:1005:103::/var/qmail:
> >
> > Then under /var/qmail/alias
> >
> > It has the .qmail-default
> > etc..
> >
> > Thanks
> > Bob Ross

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/

>       Michael Brian Scher  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                          Sr. Research Consultant
>                   Attorney, Anthropologist, Part-Time Guru
>                    Mailaise: n, ('mail-aze).  See Outlook.
>

> alias:x:1000:102::/var/qmail/alias:

> Then under /var/qmail/alias

And the ownership on /var/qmail/alias?

It should be alias.qmail

--joshua.

Correct. I have deleted everything and reinstalled everything a few
different times, and this is the only machine with this stupid error.

From: "Col Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 09:41:14 +0200

I have repeatedly tried to unsubscribe from this list and now all I can do
is bounce messages until I am removerd, SORRY.

--

On Sun Jul 15, 2001 at 09:2227PM +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:
> Isn't it a pity _how_ stupid one can be?

LOL, but at least he used a template for these mails. Exactly the
same mail I got, and not even one spelling mistake.

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 10:45:19PM +0200, Johannes Huettemeister wrote:
> On Sun Jul 15, 2001 at 09:2227PM +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:
> > Isn't it a pity _how_ stupid one can be?
> >

> LOL, but at least he used a template for these mails. Exactly the
> same mail I got, and not even one spelling mistake.

Really?  When did "removered" become correct spelling?

> > From: "Col Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 09:41:14 +0200
> >
> > I have repeatedly tried to unsubscribe from this list and now all I can do
> > is bounce messages until I am removerd, SORRY.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | Sign the Fernando Petition!
http://flounder.net/publickey.html   | http://www.mickaboofriends.org

If this plaintext message is shown as an attachment, your MS mailer is broken.
begin  Henning Brauer quotation:

>Isn't it a pity _how_ stupid one can be?
>From: "Col Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>I have repeatedly tried to unsubscribe from this list and now all I can do
>is bounce messages until I am removerd, SORRY.

I don't know if you should discount it too quickly.  When subscribing,
it took 6 messages before one worked.  They were all accepted, just
the first five were ignored (logs show they were accepted).  He might be
pointing out a problem.
--
Blue skies...           Todd
| Get a bigger hammer!   |  Are you feeling lucky...punk?         |

--
when i look at my processes i get two lines like this:
#ps -aux

root     12102  0.0  0.0     0    0 ?        Z    02:14   0:00
[supervise <defunct>]

Has anyone seen this before, and is it a problem?

Regards,

David Dahl

yes, it is
check your logs, probably a process controlled by supervise isn't running
properly..  Iv'e got the problem, that supervise write's it's error
messages only to tty1. try to run svscan from commandline without
backgrounding it, and check the output

--
Lukas "Maverick" Beeler / Telematiker
Project: D.R.E.A.M / every.de - Your Community

This is in /var/log/messages and syslog

Jul 13 04:01:19 mckenna : Security Warning: There is modifications
for port listening on your machine :
Jul 13 04:01:19 mckenna : -  Opened ports : tcp        0      0
*:ndmp                  *:*                     LISTEN      26231/perl
Jul 13 04:01:19 mckenna : -  Opened ports : tcp        0      0
*:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN
28443/tcpserver
Jul 13 04:01:19 mckenna : -  Opened ports : udp        0      0
*:ndmp                  *:*                                 26231/perl
Jul 13 04:01:19 mckenna : - Closed ports  : tcp        0      0
*:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN
5711/tcpserver

i'm not sure what all of this means...

At 16:47 15.07.2001 -0500, David Dahl wrote:

>This is in /var/log/messages and syslog
>
>Jul 13 04:01:19 mckenna : Security Warning: There is modifications for
>port listening on your machine :
>Jul 13 04:01:19 mckenna : -  Opened ports : tcp        0      0
>*:ndmp                  *:*                     LISTEN      26231/perl
>Jul 13 04:01:19 mckenna : -  Opened ports : tcp        0      0
>*:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN 28443/tcpserver
>Jul 13 04:01:19 mckenna : -  Opened ports : udp        0      0
>*:ndmp                  *:*                                 26231/perl
>Jul 13 04:01:19 mckenna : - Closed ports  : tcp        0      0
>*:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN 5711/tcpserver
>

>i'm not sure what all of this means...
hmm, iam not really sure what produces this output, probably a firewall
programm are something like that.
What kind of OS are you running ? Which firewall software are you using ?
does qmail itself work ?
what's the output of supervise running in foreground ?
--

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 04:47:00PM -0500, David Dahl wrote:
> This is in /var/log/messages and syslog
> [...]
> i'm not sure what all of this means...

That looks like a report from Mandrake's security manager (I assume that's
what you're running on that box).

Check the output of:

        svstat /service/*

If you see one or more services up for 0 seconds, that's the service you
want to check out -- it's failing to start properly.

--
Adrian Ho    Tinker, Drifter, Fixer, Bum   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Archived @:  <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=qmail>

I think i know what is wrong...

here is the output of svstat /service/*:
(i ran this as an unpriveleged user)
=====================

svstat /service/*
/service/log: unable to open supervise/ok: access denied
/service/qmail-pop3d: unable to open supervise/ok: access denied
/service/qmail-send: unable to open supervise/ok: access denied
/service/qmail-smtpd: unable to open supervise/ok: access denied
/service/run: unable to chdir: not a directory
/service/supervise: unable to chdir: access denied

I have some files in /service that are not soposed to be there...

This was my first try setting up qmail...  my second try was much
better (on another linux mandrake machine), it has none of these
problems.

my next step is vmailmgr and oMailadmin...  any pitfalls to be aware
of?  I have already read the howto and some of the docs...

Thanks!

David Dahl

>On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 04:47:00PM -0500, David Dahl wrote:
>>  This is in /var/log/messages and syslog
>>  [...]
>>  i'm not sure what all of this means...
>
>That looks like a report from Mandrake's security manager (I assume that's
>what you're running on that box).
>
>Check the output of:
>
>       svstat /service/*
>
>If you see one or more services up for 0 seconds, that's the service you
>want to check out -- it's failing to start properly.
>
>--
>Adrian Ho    Tinker, Drifter, Fixer, Bum   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Archived @:  <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=qmail>
>Useful URLs: <http://cr.yp.to/qmail.html> <http://www.qmail.org>
>              <http://www.lifewithqmail.org/> <http://qmail.faqts.com/>

--

I need help with a virtual domain.  One of our sister companies site has
been down for a while, and email is starting to bounce to their domain.

We were going to setup qmail to be able to at least hold their mail, until
either 1) we were able to create the necessary alias's or 2) their site
comes online.

I created entries in control/rcpthosts, and control/virtualdomains:

control/rcpthosts:
ourdomain.com
sisterdomain.com

control/virtualdomains:
ourdomain.com:ourdomain-com
sisterdomain.com:alias

But when I restart qmail, all mail for their domain starts bouncing because
I dont have their alias's setup yet.  Is there a way around this?  Please help

Matt

Hi,I have installed qmail-1.03+checkpassword-0.90,
And i have patch the qmail with qmail-smtpd-auth-0.30
I use tcpserver to start qmail-smtpd:
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -u501 hostname 25 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
/bin/checkpassword /bin/true &
when i telnet hostname 25 I find auth has worked,
but the checkpassword is NOT working rightly,
I input the wrong userid and password and i can pass the auth,
why?

HI!
 Is it possibly to create virtual aliases (like in sendmail) ?
 In sendmail I have:
--------cut-------------------------------
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Is it possible to do this in qmail ?

Regards
Maciej Bogucki, Network Administrator

---
3dart.com / end-to-end solutions     http://www.3dart.com
Spolka Internetowa                   tel: (+48 22) 646 64 65
ul. Goszczynskiego 10                02-616, Warszawa