I have a qmail server running on RH7 w/ tcpserver.  I
has been installed for about 2 weeks.  For about a
week it ran fine but it suddenly started to time out
forwarding mail both to internal addresses and to
external addresses.  I researched the list and assumed
it was a DNS issue.  I added the appropriate switches
and increased the softlimit from 2000000 to 4000000.
See below: (basically a copy of LWQ)

#!/bin/sh
QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 4000000 \
  /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -H -R -l 0 -x
/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c "$MAXSMTPD" \
   -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "NOFILESGID" 0 smtp
     /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1

The timeouts stopped and now the response is about
20-25 sec some of the time and normal 1-2 sec. others.

The server has a public and private network interface
and is running Linux Masq (ie. 192.168. internal and a
routable address external).  If I attach a workstation
on the public network it responds normally.  It is the
private network that is inconsistant.  Web activity
thru the Linux Masq is always normal.  I even attached
a single workstation to the inside to eliminate
possible conflicts on the internal network.  Same
results.

Everything seems to point to a DNS issue but the
external network always seems normal.

I hope I haven't overlooked the obvious but I probably
have.  Any guidance on where to look would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bill