On 2001.07.17 12:47 Mark Douglas wrote:
> I'm having some problems with my qmail server. It seems to be taking an
> abnormally large amount of time to do queue processing. A recent mailing
> list send of 250k e-mail's to the server had it stuck in queue processing
> with iowait at 80-100% the entire time, for over 36 hours. I assume this
> is
> not a "normal" timeframe for processing that amount of e-mail.
>
> The setup is as follows:
>
> Sun Netra t1 - 450mhz ultrasparcII processor
> 1024MB of memory, 1.5GB of swap
> 18GB SCSI disk.
> Solaris 8
> qmail 1.03 with DNS and big-concurrency patch
>
> If any other information is pertinent, please let me know and I'll
> provide
> it. Any insight into what the problem could be would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
> --
> s/root/Mark
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
> <META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2652.35">
> <TITLE>Large queue and iowait</TITLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=2>I'm having some problems with my qmail server. It seems
> to be taking an abnormally large amount of time to do queue processing. A
> recent mailing list send of 250k e-mail's to the server had it stuck in
> queue processing with iowait at 80-100% the entire time, for over 36
> hours. I assume this is not a &quot;normal&quot; timeframe for processing
> that amount of e-mail.</FONT></P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=2>The setup is as follows:</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=2>Sun Netra t1 - 450mhz ultrasparcII processor</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>1024MB of memory, 1.5GB of swap</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>18GB SCSI disk.</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>Solaris 8</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>qmail 1.03 with DNS and big-concurrency patch</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=2>If any other information is pertinent, please let me know
> and I'll provide it. Any insight into what the problem could be would be
> greatly appreciated.</FONT></P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=2>Thanks,</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=2>Mark</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>--</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>s/root/Mark</FONT>
> </P>
>
> </BODY>
> </HTML>

I would check to see if qmail-send has a defunct process.. You will need to
restart it or restart qmail altogether and make sure there are no stray
proceses that may interfere. I've had multiple instances where the queue
becomes abnormally large because qmail-send is defunct.. It should reload
and you will see preprocessed mails grow until it spits everything out.

--
Jake Roersma
Network Engineer