On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 09:53:19AM +0700, Vu Xuan Ngoc wrote:
>  1. "head -2 /etc/resolv.conf"     have result:
> search localdomain
> nameserver 203.162.0.11

Good. A nameserver. ;)

> 2. "dnsqr mx yahoo.com"    have result:
SNIP valid result. It apparently works.

> 3. "dnsq mx yahoo.com ns1.yahoo.com" have result:
This was unnecessary, my fault. Apologies. My request should have been
for hotmail. Thanks for realizing my mistake. (I always mix those two up
-- giant free email service that causes lotsa problems).

> 4."dnsqr mx hotmail.com"  have result:
> 15 hotmail.com:
> 504 bytes, 1+12+5+8 records, response, noerror
> query: 15 hotmail.com

This result is what I expected. hotmail intentionally keeps their MX
response to under 512 bytes to avoid problems with, e.g., qmail. Your
recursive resolver appears to provide the same additionals as a direct
query to hotmail's ns (dnscache does not, which was why I asked for the
dnsq output).

So, now that Greg has his domains straight, we've proven that:

1. Your server successfully looks up hotmail's MX records.
2. The patch to qmail was unnecessary (but should not be a problem).

Odd. Can we please get:

qmail-showctl

(unedited, please)

and some log file snippets, from mail creation/injection to delivery
attempt, of a failed hotmail delivery?

--
Greg White