On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 01:30:18PM -0600, David J Jackson wrote:
> Greg --
> Thanks for your reply... this has me somewhat perplexed?
>
> There is no other boxes Windoz or other wise on pickledbeans.com if that's what you
>mean? Just me and my 24K dailup to Qwest.net??
>
> > 1. control/rcpthosts empty.
>       /var/qmail/crontrol/rcpthosts :
>       mail.pickledbeans.com # box sitting on my desk
>       pickledbeans.com        # domain mapped -> mail.pickledbeans.com (dyndns)

OK, no possibility there.

> > 2. RELAYCLIENT set for all/wrong addresses in /etc/tcp.smtp[.cdb]
> > (or wherever you keep that file) if using tcpserver
>       not using tcpserver

Using inetd then? Ugh. ;)

> > 3. RELAYCLIENT set for all addresses in /etc/hosts.allow if using inetd.
>       /etc/hosts.allow is emtpy /etc/hosts.deny is empty
>       /etc/host.equiv:
>       localhost
>       mail.pickledbeans.com pickledbeans.com

host.equiv is not relevant to this discussion. So, you're not setting
RELAYCLIENT there...

> > 4. An insecure .cgi script on your machine (not possible if not running
> > a cgi-capable webserver on your mail host), and RELAYCLIENT set for
> > localhost.
> >
>       I suppose it could be except I only have one cgi script a simple chat
>       room thing?

Not likely. So, you're not setting RELAYCLIENT for anyone? Noone uses
this server to send mail at all (except scripts on the mailserver, of
course)? That's odd, but possible. Check out Dave's possibility (I too
almost got burned by this one -- apparently M$ Exchange makes it
non-trivial to turn _off_ percenthack, and enables it by default). Other
than that (an evil 'smarthost' setup), I can't see how anyone could be
relaying through you, except legitimately.

Hey, since you're on dialup and dyndns, isn't it possible that some
Windoze user dialed up, got an old IP address that at one time was
pickledbeans.com's dyndns, and sent this mail? The mail you forwarded
specifically said 'from your IP address'??? If you're not setting
RELAYCLIENT anywhere, then even your local LAN cannot be sending this
mail... Just a thought.

--
Greg White