Sorry to cause unnecessary list traffic, but I just discovered how to
do what I was asking below.  Thanks again to the qmail list archive
(FYI http://www-archive.ornl.gov:8000/ ).  All I did was edit the
receive.c file and changed:

  if (helo) {
    qmail_puts(qqt," (HELO ");
    safeput(qqt,helo);
    qmail_puts(qqt,")");
  }

to:

   if (helo) {
     qmail_puts(qqt," (HELO myqmail-host.com)");
   }

and recompiled.  This was described in the following email:

Thanks,
Phil.