Thank you, Lukas, for replying. Sorry it's taken me so long to follow up; too
many fires at work.

You're right, deleting /bin/mail is not mentioned in Life with Qmail. Unfortunately,
step 14 in the INSTALL file that comes with qmail-1.03 says, "Read REMOVE.binmail."
and, as expected, REMOVE.binmail tells you remove the permissions and "make
sure that 'mail' invokes a useable mailer." This is the step I was having trouble with.

I just went back and re-enabled the permissions on my original /bin/mail program.
I invoked it with "mail -v [EMAIL PROTECTED]" which usually lets me compose
a message, then watches as it contacts the MTA and sends it. Composing worked
normally, but nothing happened after I typed "." and it said "EOT". HOWEVER, I
just checked my mailbox and the message came through. so I guess everything is
working correctly.

Philosophical question: Why is there a difference between the Life with Qmail
installation
directions and the directions in the INSTALL file? Which should be followed, or is it
obvious, since the Life with Qmail directions worked?

Thanks, again, Lukas, for your help.

-Kevin Zembower

-----
E. Kevin Zembower
Unix Administrator
Johns Hopkins University/Center for Communications Programs
111 Market Place, Suite 310
Baltimore, MD  21202
410-659-6139

At 14:17 19.07.2001 -0400, you wrote:
>In trying to complete my first qmail install, I followed the directions in
>REMOVE.binmail. but I'm not sure how to complete step 3: "If the binmail
>binary was /bin/mail, make sure that ``mail'' still invokes a usable mailer."

iam not sure what do you want to do.. i followed life with qmail [
http://www.lifewithqmail.org ] and it worked fine.. i still have the same
/bin/mail installed, as it was under sendmail.. an everything works fine

>What "mail" mailer is used with qmail? Do I have to download something, or
>do I just soft link something I already have to /bin/mail?

probably a softlink to qmail-inject ?

--
--/-/------ Lukas Beeler ---- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----------\-\--
   \ \          My HomePage: <URL:http://www.projectdream.org>          / /