Title: Reducing Time-Out for Unresolved Hosts

I've been lurking for about a week now - and I have a fairly simple question, that maybe someone can help me with.

By default I noticed that qmail waits 7 days before sending an error message back to a user indicating that a message was undeliverable in the case where a user miskeys the domain portion of the e-mail address to a domain with a non-existant MX record.

I created a queuelifetime file in the /qmail/control/ directory and decreased that timeout to 86,400 seconds or one-day by just putting "86400" in the queuelifetime file.

Is this the correct procedure?  Also will this override the default value of attempting to deliver a message for 7 days?  My ultimate goal is really to just have a warning message passed back to a user in under a day, so a user can check to see if he/she made a typo when composing the e-mail.  But I still wouldn't mind qmail attempting the delivery for around 4 days in case the other parties' DNS/Mail server is down.

Thanks for any help!

Amit Kalra
Information Security Officer
Bondbook, LLC
Office: (212) 406-6370
Pager: (718) 304-5164
<<Kalra, Amit.vcf>>

This message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipient (s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.

Kalra, Amit.vcf