> On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, eric wrote:
> > I am wondering if it is possible to drop SOME of the normal bounce
> > messages. What I would like to do is send bounce messages for all normal
> > bounce situations EXCEPT for unknown user.  If the user does not exist on
> > the system, I'd like to just silently discard the message.
> >
> > Is this possible?

> one method would be to use .qmail-default files that contain nothing but a
> comment line.

Well just to expand that answer slightly: With qmail, when
a *specific* user can't be found for a mail address (by
checking users/cdb and/or /etc/passwd, qmail will see if
there are any delivery instructions it can use in alias's
home directory (/var/qmail/alias). Specifically it will
look for .qmail-username, then .qmail-default. In a standard
qmail setup, you would expect to see files for special users
like .qmail-postmaster (and probably a matching Maildir).

In your case, create a .qmail-default file, to catch all
unknown users. With this file you can throw away all
mail received,

   #

(that's just a single comment line: Having read a comment,
qmail-local will consider it has achieved a successful
delivery. Note that a null file is different, and will
use the default delivery. Just see man dot-qmail for
more info).

cheers,

Andrew.