Vanilla qmail 1.03 stores the envelope sender address (preceded by an F and
followed by a NUL) in a file in the directory /var/qmail/info/.

RFC 1869 ("SMTP Service Extensions") allows one to pass additional information
on the MAIL command line after the FROM:<address> . Some of this information
should in principle be passed on to qmail-local and/or qmail-remote for
correct processing.

(One example is BODY=8BITMIME. Regardless of how one thinks qmail-remote
should behave when relaying to a server that doesn't advertise 8BITMIME
--- I don't wish to revive *that* discussion --- it may be nice to pass
on the 8BITMIME flag to those servers that do claim to support it --- but
only if it was set on the inbound message; qmail-remote shouldn't try to
compute it from the message content.)

In the INTERNALS file, DJB wrote inter alia:

   Currently info/457 serves two purposes: first, it records the envelope
   sender; second, its modification time is used to decide when a message
   has been in the queue too long. In the future info/457 may store more
   information. Any non-backwards-compatible changes will be identified by
   version numbers.

I think I may have a need to store more information. I would like to do so
in a manner that won't clash with future official qmail releases.
Would it be OK to store the information after the F...\0 envelope
sender, as a (possibly empty) list of P...\0 parameters?
Or am I better off creating a separate file xinfo/457 ?

Sergio Gelato