Quick question regarding tcpserver, environment variables,  and
qmail-smtpd.

I'd like to be able to stop inbound smtp connections for systems that
don't have at least a DNS A record. I mean, c'mon... If you are running
a mail server, it should have a valid DNS entry, no?   Anyway, here is
where tcpserver comes in, or so I thought. I figure I can use the
default -h option (or -p 'parinoid')  to set the $TCPREMOTEHOST variable
for inbound servers with valid DNS entries, and have inbound connections
stopped or allowed based on that, right?  Wrong. (or so far it appears
to be wrong)

I am trying to understand the purpose of being able to set environment
variables like $TCPREMOTEHOST with tcpserver for incoming connections
(ie: using the -h option or -p 'paranoid' option to perform reverse DNS
lookups) and set or unset the $TCPREMOTEHOST variable based on DNS
information. when qmail-smtpd does not seem to care, or make any use of it.

Is a shell script to be called in place of qmail-smtpd to check
environment variables, then pass control back onto qmail-smtpd?

Any comments, or pointers would be appreciated, even if you are just
going to tell me I am being too paranoid.    :)

Bill Arlofski
Unix Systems Administrator
The Hotchkiss School
[EMAIL PROTECTED]