qmail Digest 13 Aug 2001 10:00:00 -0000 Issue 1455

Topics (messages 67735 through 67761):

Re: qmail-lspawn patch for hosting multiple local domains
        67735 by: Andre Oppermann
        67738 by: Henning Brauer

Re: Perl and Qmail
        67736 by: Henning Brauer

Re: pop3d question
        67737 by: Henning Brauer

qmail & anti-virii
        67739 by: Averroes
        67742 by: Eduardo Augusto Alvarenga
        67743 by: Noel Mistula
        67744 by: Bill Arlofski

rblsmtpd and 'tagging' emails
        67740 by: Qmail
        67741 by: Henning Brauer

Qmail, tcpserver, environment variables, and qmail-smtpd
        67745 by: Bill Arlofski

temporary qmail-inject error
        67746 by: KY Lui
        67760 by: Ross Cooney

qmail-pop3d
        67747 by: qmail
        67748 by: Greg White

local-local delivery error (newbie)
        67749 by: Jean-Christian Imbeault
        67752 by: Johan Almqvist
        67756 by: Jean-Christian Imbeault
        67759 by: Johan Almqvist

qmail, avoid spam mail
        67750 by: KY Lui
        67751 by: Brett Randall

Cannot find host with name... error
        67753 by: Sito Garcia
        67755 by: meling
        67761 by: Sito Garcia

checkpassword and IMAP
        67754 by: meling

overwrite locals
        67757 by: Peter Marenbach

Question about Process Usage and running problems (newbie)
        67758 by: Dave Lewis

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

MarkD wrote:

> > > I have never checked, but I wonder whether the qmail-ldap guys have
> > > had to do the same thing?
> >
> > No, we did not have to. We're simply ignoring locals and virtualdomains
> > alltogether for the ldap lookup. We simply take the whole address and
> > do the lookup. An entry in either locals or virtualdomains is still
> > neccessary because of the check for a valid domain. Unless you run it
> > in mixed mode (ldap and normal) it doesn't matter whether you put the
> > domain into locals or virtualdomains.
>
> Oh. So LDAP lookups are run out of a .qmail-default or similar? FWIW,
> the original motive for the patch was to authentication using LDAP but
> we wanted to avoid the double queue insertion of a .qmail-default as
> it was a high-volume site. By writing an LDAP aware qmail-getpw and
> apply the patch we achieved that.

No, qmail-ldap is not doing .qmail-default. Instead it sort of replaces
the users file. The ldap lookup code is integrated into qmail(-spawn)
itself. Also checkpassword is adjusted for this. It can either interpret
the password field itself or do a connect to the ldap server with the
specified user name and password. Then the ldap server is checking the
password.

> Of course that was prior to the existence of either qmail-ldap or
> maildrop which presumably could be combined to achieve almost the same
> results - assuming single-uid delivery is acceptable.

You can specify the UID/GID for every user in the ldap object.

--
Andre

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 08:26:43PM +0000, MarkD wrote:
> > argument, the name of the local user to verify.  This patch makes
> > qmail-lspawn call qmail-getpw with two arguments; the name and the domain
> > of the local user to verify.  This, together with a modified qmail-getpw,
> > will enable qmail to differentiate between the local domains that the
> > server is hosting.
>
> I have never checked, but I wonder whether the qmail-ldap guys have
> had to do the same thing?

No. You need to forget aboy some qmail stuff when using qmail-ldap. We just
have user accounts and assigned mail addresses. VEry straightforward. A
simple (simplyfied) user entry looks like

dn: cn=brahe, ou=intern, dc=bsws, dc=de
cn: brahe
userPassword: {crypt}censored
uid: brahe
mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailAlternateAddress: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailAlternateAddress: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

and so on.
Basically, in qmail-lspawn a search using the filter
(|(mail=address)(mailalternateaddress=address))
is done, where address is the full rcpt address.

For auth'ing the uid and userPassword attributes count. There is no need in
qmail-ldap to distinguisch between local part and domain part in an address,
and there is no relation between email addresses and uids except that they
belong to an user account.
--
* Henning Brauer, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.bsws.de *
* Roedingsmarkt 14, 20459 Hamburg, Germany               *

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 08:44:56AM -0700, Greg White wrote:
> I'm not aware of any _reason_ you'd want to recieve mail in a Perl
> program -- that's what your MTA is there for.

Ever thought about Mailrobots? I've written tons of them - how do you think
all the domains get registered?

--

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 01:42:27PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Good idea.  Wouldn't the simplest way to accomplish this be to wrap
> qmail-pop3d with a shell script that did something like:
>
>   qmail-pop3d ./Maildir/
>   rm -f ./Maildir/cur/*

That's _very_ dangerous. What about dropped connections before all mail is
retrieved? And AFAIK there are clients connecting once, auth'ing, LIST and
QUIT (our script deletes all Mail then) and reconnecting later to actually
fetch mails (would fetch mails - your script deleted them all then...)
- pop3 webmail clients (IMHO broken by design, but anyway...) come to my mind.

--
* Henning Brauer, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.bsws.de *
* Roedingsmarkt 14, 20459 Hamburg, Germany               *
(Dennis Ritchie)

Hi There,

I am new in qmail and want to migrate qmail with security purposes
but I want to know how to deal with virus, worms, etc.

It is possible to configure qmail with some tools
which check the contents of mail, attached docs, etc.

All my server are Linux powered and all clients are Win2k.
This is why of my mail.

Docs, Tutorials, etc. will be helpful.

In advance Thanks!

# Averroes A. Aysha                        http://www.keyserver.net/en/
# Think Linux, Think Slackware!
# Network Security Auditor (NSA)
# [EMAIL PROTECTED]
# Fingerprint = 73B7 2559 2968 5094 3B95 5C70 4E85 5F94 6068 1DD8

Averroes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am new in qmail and want to migrate qmail with security purposes
> but I want to know how to deal with virus, worms, etc.
> It is possible to configure qmail with some tools
> which check the contents of mail, attached docs, etc.
> All my server are Linux powered and all clients are Win2k.
> This is why of my mail.

I encourage you to take a look at the AMaViS project at
http://www.amavis.org. Totally qmail compatible.

Best Regards,

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Eduardo Augusto Alvarenga - Analista de Suporte - #179653
    Blumenau - Santa Catarina. Tel. (47) 9102-3303
           http://www.netron.com.br/~eduardo

don't forget to use the -i flag on all grep commands so that you won't
miss the upper case characters.

cheers

--
Noel G. Mistula
Network & Systems Administrator

I am working through a few last minor issues, but Kaspersky Antivirus
for Linux servers has a nice qmail integration piece.

http://www.kaspersky.com   (You'll want at least the August 1st 3.5
build 136 version - mime problems with earlier versions)

Basically, you start the antivirus daemon, rename the original
qmail-queue file, drop Kaspersky's qmail-queue in it's place.
 qmail-smtpd passes inbound mail to the Kaspersky qmail-queue which
performs the scan via the running daemon process, then passes off
virus-free email to the original qmail-queue program.

Logging is to syslog, or a file, or both. You have options of emailing
the offending users that they have sent infected email (most of these I
am finding are getting bounced for all the obvious reasons). You can
also send an administrative mail to your network admins to keep you up
to date on incoming (or outgoing) email virus activity.

I am pretty happy with it. I'd be glad to comment more, show configs, or
help in any way.. I just don't want to clog up the list on my first day
here.  <grin>

Averroes wrote:

>Hi There,
>
>I am new in qmail and want to migrate qmail with security purposes
>but I want to know how to deal with virus, worms, etc.
>
>It is possible to configure qmail with some tools
>which check the contents of mail, attached docs, etc.
>
>All my server are Linux powered and all clients are Win2k.
>This is why of my mail.
>
>Docs, Tutorials, etc. will be helpful.
>
>In advance Thanks!
>
>#----------------------------------------------------------------------
># Averroes A. Aysha                       http://www.keyserver.net/en/
># Think Linux, Think Slackware!
># Network Security Auditor (NSA)
># [EMAIL PROTECTED]
># Fingerprint = 73B7 2559 2968 5094 3B95 5C70 4E85 5F94 6068 1DD8
>#----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Folks,

Is there any way to use rblsmtpd to simply set a header in qmail, rather
than bouncing emails?

Thanks,

Lance

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 02:46:02PM -0700, Qmail wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Is there any way to use rblsmtpd to simply set a header in qmail, rather
> than bouncing emails?

Already posted the URL some weeks ago,
http://www.lamer.de/maex/creative/software/qmail/

--
* Henning Brauer, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.bsws.de *
* Roedingsmarkt 14, 20459 Hamburg, Germany               *
(Dennis Ritchie)

Quick question regarding tcpserver, environment variables,  and
qmail-smtpd.

I'd like to be able to stop inbound smtp connections for systems that
don't have at least a DNS A record. I mean, c'mon... If you are running
a mail server, it should have a valid DNS entry, no?   Anyway, here is
where tcpserver comes in, or so I thought. I figure I can use the
default -h option (or -p 'parinoid')  to set the $TCPREMOTEHOST variable
for inbound servers with valid DNS entries, and have inbound connections
stopped or allowed based on that, right?  Wrong. (or so far it appears
to be wrong)

I am trying to understand the purpose of being able to set environment
variables like $TCPREMOTEHOST with tcpserver for incoming connections
(ie: using the -h option or -p 'paranoid' option to perform reverse DNS
lookups) and set or unset the $TCPREMOTEHOST variable based on DNS
information. when qmail-smtpd does not seem to care, or make any use of it.

Is a shell script to be called in place of qmail-smtpd to check
environment variables, then pass control back onto qmail-smtpd?

Any comments, or pointers would be appreciated, even if you are just
going to tell me I am being too paranoid.    :)

Bill Arlofski
Unix Systems Administrator
The Hotchkiss School
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Title: temporary qmail-inject error

hello

i found "temporary qmail-inject error" in qmail log file
what's the meaning?

thanks

regards
KY

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 11:28:10AM +0800, KY Lui wrote:
> hello
>
> i found "temporary qmail-inject error" in qmail log file
> what's the meaning?

It means that you have messed with the qmail-queue or qmail-inject files.

Please post more information, versions of software, output of log files, and
start up scripts.

Ross Cooney

Virus Scanner: http://www.antivirus.ie/index.mv?free_scan=1
Perl Tutorial: http://www.cyber-sentry.com/perl/tut.mv?art=1

After I test the qmail-smtpd and qmail-send is ok,it seems to me ok.
I try to install qmail-pop3d and start this service.
I add the run script in /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d
I use the method to test the checkpasswd program, the response is ok.
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -R
-H -l 0 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup sbs01.helka.com.hk
/bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1

but I find a process:
root      8461  0.0  0.0     0    0 ?        Z    11:17   0:00
[supervise <defunction

is it ok?
I can't check the pop3 with email client.

anything that I should install after enable qmail-pop3d?

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 11:42:25AM -0400, qmail wrote:
> After I test the qmail-smtpd and qmail-send is ok,it seems to me ok.
> I try to install qmail-pop3d and start this service.
> I add the run script in /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d
> I use the method to test the checkpasswd program, the response is ok.
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -R
> -H -l 0 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup sbs01.helka.com.hk
> /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1
>
> but I find a process:
> root      8461  0.0  0.0     0    0 ?        Z    11:17   0:00
> [supervise <defunction
>
> is it ok?
> I can't check the pop3 with email client.
>
> anything that I should install after enable qmail-pop3d?

I have two questions for you:

1. What is the output of 'svstat /service/*' ?
2. Is it just linewrap issues, or is 'run' really multilined without
escape characters like that?

--
Greg White

I think I have qmail up and running after following the instructions in lwq.
I am now trying the tests in TEST.deliver.

However I get an error at the first test, local-local delivery/

status: local 0/10 remote 0/20
starting delivery 1: msg 508836 to local [EMAIL PROTECTED]
status: local 1/10 remote 0/20
delivery 1: deferral: Unable_to_chdir_to_maildir._(#4.2.1)/
status: local 0/10 remote 0/20

Is this an error in my installationof qmail? Did I need to setup user mail
directories?

Jc

* Jean-Christian Imbeault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010813 08:25]:
> I think I have qmail up and running after following the instructions in lwq.
> I am now trying the tests in TEST.deliver.
> However I get an error at the first test, local-local delivery/
> Is this an error in my installationof qmail? Did I need to setup user mail
> directories?

Yes. Have you read
INSTALL.mbox
INSTALL.vsm
and INSTALL.maildir?

What default delivery instruction does your qmail run script contain?

BTW, you'd be better with an installation following
http://www.lifewithqmail.org/

-Johan
--
Johan Almqvist
http://www.almqvist.net/johan/qmail/

PGP signature

>From: Johan Almqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Yes. Have you read
>INSTALL.mbox
>INSTALL.vsm
>and INSTALL.maildir?

Just read those three documents and none of them say that I *have* to do
anything. Seems mostly like recommendation on what to do if you want to keep
using /var/spool/mail or to configure MUA's to use Maildir.

Also this machien is to be a mail server. There won't any user on the
machine itslef. So setting up ~usr/Maildir directories seems give of strange

Jc

* Jean-Christian Imbeault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010813 09:15]:
> Just read those three documents and none of them say that I *have* to do
> anything. Seems mostly like recommendation on what to do if you want to keep
> using /var/spool/mail or to configure MUA's to use Maildir.
> Also this machien is to be a mail server. There won't any user on the
> machine itslef. So setting up ~usr/Maildir directories seems give of strange

If you don't want to configure local deliveries, why are you trying to
test them?

If you want to do local deliveries, you will have to follow one of
INSTALL.vsm, INSTALL.mbox or INSTALL.maildir.

-Johan
--
Johan Almqvist
http://www.almqvist.net/johan/qmail/

PGP signature

Title: qmail, avoid spam mail

Hello

recently, i found that someone using my qmail server to send mail.
how can i avoid this?
thanks
regards
KY

> Hello recently, i found that someone using my qmail server to send
> mail.  how can i avoid this?

1. Include logs in your mail
2. Tell us how they used your qmail server to send mail
3. Reinstall using www.lifewithqmail.org
--
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying

Dear friends:
I'm newbie with qmail. Tried to install it last friday, but I got some
errors after all the COMPLEX proccess. (I'm installing on a Mandrake 8.0
linux server).

The first one is this:

In the firsts steps of the config proccess, I had to launch the
"config-fast" script wich is supposed to set up my hostname, in this way:

./config-fast comarcal2 (wich is my host name, obviously)

Well, after all steps, and keeping the instructions about testing, I make a
ps -aux, and I found properly the four daemons running:
qmail-send
qmail-lspawn ./Mailbox
qmail-rspawn
qmail-clean
with the propers users. Then, I try to send to myself an message:

echo to: myname | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject

and then I go to watch the syslog file to see the result and I found the
next error:

delivery 8: failure:
Sorry,_I_couldn't_find_any_host_named_comarcal2.comarcal2._(#5.1.2)

How can this be happening if put so fine the name of my host in the script
above??

Some suggestion??

Thanks in advance!!

Alfonso García

Descargue GRATUITAMENTE MSN Explorer en http://explorer.msn.es/intl.asp

> ./config-fast comarcal2 (wich is my host name, obviously)

try ./config-fast yourhostname.yourdomain
the config files for this is in the /var/qmail/control directory

--mel

As I explain in another mail, what I want is to install qmail ready to serve
mails belong users of my intranet through my Linux server (actually,
webmail). I believe this can be done. Or doesn't?

Thanks in advance

>From: meling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Sito Garcia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: Cannot find host with name... error
>Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:17:29 +0800
>
> > ./config-fast comarcal2 (wich is my host name, obviously)
>
>try ./config-fast yourhostname.yourdomain
>the config files for this is in the /var/qmail/control directory
>
>--mel

Descargue GRATUITAMENTE MSN Explorer en http://explorer.msn.es/intl.asp

Hi,

I'm running both IMAP and POP servers. Both are using the same
authvchpw authentication module by IMAP.

I run pop as:
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -R 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup FQDN \
/home/mail/bin/vchkpw /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1 |
/var/qmail/bin/splogger pop3d &

I run imap as:
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -R 0 imap /usr/local/courier/bin/imapd 2>&1
&

However, I'm always having problems making vpopmail and courier-imap
work together.
(Compiling courier-imap with --with-authvchpw always give me problems),
thus I want to
use checkpassword for IMAP authentication. This means that I want to
install IMAP
independent of vpopmail, and use checkpassword for authentication.

What's the proper tcpserver syntax to do this? Or, can checkpassword
work with authvchkpw?

Regards,

--mel.

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to use qmail in a ASP type setup.
Therefore, I would like to overwrite the locals table
with respect to the IP address of the SMTP client.
With tcpserver it is possible to set environment
variables depending on the client address. However, I
did not find a way to set the locals through this
mechanism.

Now, I would like to know whether there exists a way
to do that or whether it would be at least possible to
patch qmail somwhow to do that.

Thanks in advance,
Peter

I just recently switched from sendmail to qmail and I've noticed that my
process usage seems to be alot higher than it used to be.   Below is a ps
incuding all the qmail processes.  I don't transfer that much mail and
I've been told that Qmail is supposed to be better.. When I ran sendmail
my usage was under 1 usually .50 or something.. now it's almost 3 ??

Is there something wrong ??? how can I fix it..  or is this normal ?

root      3445  0.0  0.0  1152   60 ?        S    Aug11   0:00 tcpserver -R -H 0 pop3
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup mail.domain.com

/var/spool/mail/popmail/bin/vchkpw /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &
root     18160  0.0  0.2  1124  340 ?        S    Aug11   0:00 svscan
root     18161  3.5  0.2  1088  320 ?        S    Aug11 101:22 supervise qmail-pop3d
root     18162  0.0  0.2  1088  320 ?        S    Aug11   0:00 supervise log
root     18163  0.0  0.2  1088  320 ?        S    Aug11   0:00 supervise qmail-send
root     18164  0.0  0.2  1088  320 ?        S    Aug11   0:00 supervise log
root     18165  0.0  0.2  1088  320 ?        S    Aug11   0:00 supervise qmail-smtpd
root     18166  0.0  0.2  1088  320 ?        S    Aug11   0:00 supervise log
qmaill   18168  0.0  0.2  1100  312 ?        S    Aug11   0:00 /usr/local/bin/multilog
t /var/log/qmail/pop3d
qmaill   18169  0.0  0.2  1100  312 ?        S    Aug11   0:00 /usr/local/bin/multilog
-t s2500000 /var/log/qmail/qmail-smtpd
qmaild   18170  0.0  0.0  1152   68 ?        S    Aug11   0:00
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -H -R -v -p -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -u 520
                                                           -g 519 0 smtp
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1
qmaill   18171  0.0  0.0  1104  116 ?        S    Aug11   0:00 /usr/local/bin/multilog
t s 2500000 /var/log/qmail/qmail-send
#517     18172  0.0  0.1  1148  160 ?        S    Aug11   0:00 qmail-send
root     18178  0.0  0.2  1100  344 ?        S    Aug11   0:00 qmail-lspawn
#516     18179  0.0  0.0  1100    0 ?        SW   Aug11   0:00 [qmail-rspawn]
#515     18180  0.0  0.0  1092   92 ?        S    Aug11   0:00 qmail-clean
qmaild   27733  0.0  0.2  1104  332 ?        S    03:29   0:00
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
root     31318  0.0  0.5  1648  748 ?        R    03:30   0:00 sh ./run
root     31319  0.0  0.1  1436  236 ?        R    03:30   0:00 sh ./run

ALSO , when I run the svscan startup file I get a bind error, already in
use .... I have a feeling that this may be part of it.. but there is
nothing listening on those ports other than qmail.. I've tripple checked
the inetd.conf file and all the mail type commands are #'d out.

Is there something I've done wrong ??? or just missed ????

If more information is needed.. I'd be glad to post it or deal with
someone off list...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Dave