On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 12:13:38AM +0000, mike wrote:
> but why so many process running as root?  Here's my process list.
>  I understand all of it except the first 5

qmail uses many more processes than sendmail, which is one monolithic
programm, running as root. If you look at your "ps aux" a little more
exactly, you will see that only supervise processes and qmail-lspawn run
as root. supervise processes do nothing more than just "guard" a
service, and restart them if they die. have a look at supervise.c in the
daemontools directory. qmail-lspawn does just invoke qmail-local's with
the respective UID/GID of the receiver. this is, why this programm
need's root right. You see, there are more processes, because qmail is
more modular, and splitted into different processes, for more security.

--
Lukas Beeler                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GPG Fingerprint: 8030 1C2F 66C5 9D80 AA31  6604 7D4D 0A67 68D8 B67E