[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a vanilla (life with qmail-style) qmail server up and running
> on an internal development x86 linux server. Since this is supposed to
> be a test server for some mail applications that are being developed,
> what I would like to do is to configure qmail to accept all mail it
> receives for local delivery and place it in a single directory.

Very simple to do.

> I have already figured out that I can comment out the following two
> lines in qmail-smtpd.c in order to bypass the 'rcpt to' envelope
> check, so it will accept any email sent to the machine regardless of
> the address:

Totally unnecessary to patch qmail.  From the man page for qmail-send:

            virtualdomains may contain wildcards:

                 .fax:uucp-fax
                 :alias-catchall
                 .nowhere.mil:joe-foo-host

> I also have a .qmail-default file in /var/qmail/alias, which redirects
> all local mail over to /home/devmail/Maildir.

Use ":alias-catchall" in virtualdomains, and create
~alias/.qmail-catchall instead of patching.

> The last piece of the puzzle is to short-circuit qmail-send (I'm
> guessing) so that it will hand all mail over to qmail-lspawn, and
> never to qmail-rspawn. Since I'm not a programmer, I'm having
> difficulty digging through qmail-send.c (over 1600 lines!) to figure
> out what to comment out and/or change. Any help at all would be
> greatly appreciated.

With the catchall configuration above, no patching is necessary.

Charles