> Chris Bunnell wrote:
>
> I have a wish list for things I'd like to see in qmailadmin.  I think
> many will find them useful as well...
>
> My ISP has found it very handy to be able to go into users mailboxes
> to delete and sometimes even read their email.  Now I know what you're
> all thinking... privacy...  I won't waste the time on the list going
> into the reasons for needing to get into their mailboxes.  Usually
> this is WITH their permission, or by their request anyway.  It's
> generally used to delete out viruses that they've gotten, etc.

I could see adding this feature to vqadmin.
We will be releasing it shortly.

vqadmin is designed for tech support staffs at ISP's. It uses
the same vpopmail libraries, but uses the httpd .htaccess type
access method. And a configuration file to list multiple admin
accounts with different levels of control.

> Anyway, I think it would be very helpful if there was a way to
> actually go into each pop users mailbox within qmailadmin.  Once in
> the mailbox, messages could be read, deleted, forwarded, etc.  It's
> even handy to be able to 'create' a new message as that pop user
> within the admin program.  I got spoiled on this ability with Webmin's
> SENDMAIL module.  The QMAIL module for Webmin not only doesn't work
> with VPOPMAIL's virtual users, but it doesn't let you do those things
> anyway.  IE. read mail, etc. like the sendmail module did.
>
> Next, I think there should be one more "postmaster" type account.
> Call it "admin" and it's for the ISP itself.  It's password can't be
> changed by anyone except the admin user.  The admin user would have
> the abilities that I previously mentioned.  I went back and forth on
> weather or not the postmaster account should be able to read pop users
> mail or not.  I settled on a default of yes.  Maybe this could be an
> option that you set when you create the domain with vpopmail's
> VADDDOMAIN command.

This is exactly what vqadmin does.
Here is the basic idea

1) You have a support staff that answers users questions about
   mail, passwords, etc. They need to be able to lookup a user
   and change thier password if needed. Also set user attributes
   such has quota and features.

2) There is a smaller group of more experienced technical staff.
   They need to be able to add new virtual domains.

3) All of the support and technical staff need to be able to
   access vqadmin at the same time (hence the .htaccess type
   authentication)

What would be interesting to add would be your mail listing
feature and mail reading feature.

>From my experience as tech support, there are many times a
person called up saying they couldn't access thier mail
and have been waiting for a critical piece of email.

Ken Jones
inter7