From: "Benjamin Tomhave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 1:34 PM
Subject: RE: [qmailadmin] Upgraded Interface Project

Greetings,

> At 05:49 PM 6/29/2003, OSC Hosting SysAdmin wrote:
> > As some of you are aware, some of us have been
> > wanting a new interface for  Vpopmail that
> > incorporates a few key things and would be
> > considered an "upgrade" to the great Qmailadmin:
>
> That would be very nice.  As great as Qmailadmin is,
> it does have some limitations :-(

This sounds like an awesome project and would go a long way toward resolving
some of my integration issues.  I have been dreaming of integrating
qmailadmin and vqadmin through a single PHP interface, complete with
multi-tiered login capabilities (and I see not reason not to add more
granularity than "user" and "postmaster" -- why not have a "list admin"
permission that allows a user to revise header/footer/etc?  and so on...).

> PHP would be nice, but Perl could work as well.  As
> for the MySQL bit, I think that would have more to do
> with Vpopmail, wouldn't it?  Like Qmailadmin, I don't
> think it should matter what Vpopmail is using for it's
> backend; it should only be a "wrapper" for the
> Vpopmail commands themselves.

PHP is definitely the best way to go, with PERL coming in a distant second
place.  If anybody runs PERL scripts like qmail-scanner on their systems,
they will definitely see the tremendous performance hit.  I've never seen a
similar performance hit with PHP.  I can see including compiled or perl
modules to wrap system calls, but that's about it.

> > 3.  Must be Customizable and "Brandable".
>
> Agreed.  It would be nice to be able to easily provide
> a customizeable interface for white-labelling for
> re-sellers.

Ditto!  This would be awesome!

> > 4.  No need to recompile source to make code
> > changes (PHP).
>
> Definately agreed!  As I mentioned above, it wouldn't
> *have* to be written in PHP; Perl would do just fine,
> and may actually work better as far as calling on the
> various Vpopmail commands.

PHP does system calls just fine if you know what you're doing.  If you need
a wrapper for security purposes, write a compiled C/C++ program, don't incur
the unnecessary performance hit of PERL.

Eagerly anticipating the first source release!

-ben

---
Benjamin Tomhave, CISSP
Senior Systems Engineer