On Monday 28 July 2003 06:45, tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:
> At 26/07/03 26/07/03 -0400, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> >On Saturday 26 July 2003 06:55, eti wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >  Is there any new version of the pooled quota patch that would work
> > > with a newer wersion of qmaiadmin (1.0.24-1.0.25).
> >
> >There is a new domain quota patch that actually ships with the newer
> > vpopmail devel versions (and I think with the newer qmailadmin devel
> > versions too), but it doesn't play nice with Maildir++ apps.
>
> About six months ago I way saying that actual "domain quote" code is not
> usable in a production environment with mixed products, and I was heavily
> attacked. Happy to see opinions have changed.

:) Yeah, I've been attacked a few times myself. I've looked at the code though,
and it's definately not usable. It's even got a few really bad bugs.

And I'm not even a professional programmer. My primary job description is
Systems Administrator. If *I* can see these flaws, then they're REALLY
obvious.

> >Basically, if you want to use anything but vpopmail to deliver or modify
> > your mail, it won't work.
> >
> >There was a pooled quota patch against 1.0.6 that was less sophisticated,
> > but actually played nice with Maildir++ apps. However, I don't think it
> > has been reworked
> >for the newer development versions of qmailadmin.
>
> I didn't do any new version. The one I produced at that time was ready to
> be merged with the current (at that time) qmailadmin, but has not even be
> considered by qmailadmin responsable. I've still not upgraded my version
> because I did not need to do it, and now I'm curious to see how qmailadmin
> is evolving before I lose time on re-coding on the last version.
>
> > > The ideea is great and i
> > > don't understand why it has not been already integrated in qmailadmin.
> >
> >The old 1.0.6 patch was a hack, at best.
>
> It was not an hack. It was an analytic answer to a need. Deeply analized,
> and shorlty coded. The fact it may be easy to code does not make a work
> less important, if you are used to keep analysis at the right place.

You're right. It wasn't a hack. It was compatible with maildir++ apps, so I'll admit
that it's better thought out than the current implementation.

[...]

> >The new patch which ships with the latest vpopmail devel versions (the one
> >that
> >doesn't play nice with Maildir++ apps) is much more sophisticated. It
> >allows totally
> >dynamic, pooled quota allocation under the master domain quota limit, as
> >well as
> >individual user quotas within that master domain quota. However, as I
> >mentioned
> >above, the design is fatally flawed in that it does not work with
> >maildir++ apps.
>
> Patch looks more sophisticated because there's a lot of coding, but starts
> from a wrong analysis, so it cannot be used reliabilly in a mixed
> environment.

I meant the intended functionality is more sophisticated. But you're right,
it isn't good for much if it doesn't work well in a mixed environment.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,