On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 18:30, Paul L. Allen wrote:
> John Johnson writes:
>
> > Mandrake works very nice for me. I have been using it for about 4 years
> > now.
>
> We tried Mandrake once, a couple of years ago.  Their "we will hold
> your hand every step of the way" was great, except where it conflicted
> with our established practises and what we actually wanted to do.  It's
> probably a great desktop solution but sucks as a server solution unless
> you are prepared to change everything you do to match what Mandrake thinks
> you should do.  It caused us nothing but pain (much like Solaris).

yea, there was just a discussion on the qmail list about mandrake's
'security' stuff changing permissions on qmail programs, therefore
breaking it.  Lovely eh? :)

www.slashdot.org :)

> > what are most of us going to do?
>
> Find a better distro.  RH 9 destroyed a lot of RH's credibility for me.

yup, I posted several with my last post

> > So much of the qmail/vpopmail/qmailadmin/SA/scanner and all else seemed
> > fined-tuned for RedHat.
>
> Are you sure about that?   This stuff works on most non-proprietary
> flavours of *nix without problems.  Solaris and HP-UX seem to have
> some problems (I hate Solaris with a passion) but the free flavours
> seem to be OK.

I don't see how it was 'geared for redhat' either.. there are rpms and
such, but that's a given, people will always want to make an 'easy' way
to install something, even if it's already braindead easy if you follow
a good tutorial (www.lifewithqmail.org anyone?)

I did recommend gentoo in my last post, but I don't recommend gentoo's
'qmail' installation ebuild at all.  Bunch of stupid patches nobody
really needs, although some of it I can see some use for.  Also, it's
not documented, so nobody knows where to change things.

Daemontools also bad gentoo ebuild... why not let inittab handle svscan,
just like it was designed to do :)

Lucky for gentoo (unlike mandrake/redhat) if I want to 'fake' something
is installed, I just 'emerge -i category/package-version-revision' and
i'm done, gentoo doesn't touch it anymore.

Redhat has always been a good distro for enterprise setups, because it's
easy to maintain if you are good with rpms and such.  People who can
roll their own rpms can kick ass with redhat.  I personally like to just
roll my tarball and call it good.  I guess learning linux on slackware
does that to you :)

-Jeremy
--
Jeremy Kitchen