On Mar 18, 2004, at 7:45 AM, Jens Benecke wrote:
occasionally I have the error "Cannot change directory" (error #171 in the
source), but no mention of _where_ it is supposed to be changing. All
permissions are correct - 0700 vpopmail.vchkpw in /var/lib/vpopmail, and
5755 vpopmail.vchkpw in qmailadmin binary, and _for_ _me_ everything works,
but for some clients' domains they get this error.

If it doesn't show a directory name, it's trying to change to an blank directory.

Please try upgrading your vpopmail to 5.4.3 -- there have been many changes since the 5.3.20 release. I have no idea if any of them will help with this problem or not, but it will be easier to troubleshoot if you're up to date.

For some reason *I* can use the account just normally.
Only some clients get this error. This is very strange.

Maybe they're trying to log in without a domain name? Or the domain is in all caps, so it only partially works? What auth backend do you use for vpopmail -- that could help narrow down the problem.

I found out that it is doing "chdir(RealDir)" in the source, but I couldn't
track where RealDir gets defined.

It's set by vget_assign().

--
Tom Collins  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]