>> I would not set up the machine the way you propose.
>
> Well, sometimes you gotta make do with one server =)  It's basically a
non-commercial operation.

> So I'll assume that it is unwise to use vpopmaild in a shared-hosting
environment, and look to another solution to this challenge.

Another note on this topic - there is some prior art that works with
procmail and maildrop filters, though I can only speak of experience with
the maildrop side.  It works as a SquirrelMail plugin.

http://www.squirrelmail.org/plugin_view.php?id=210

I have some local modifications as well, if you're interested.

Regards,
--
Dave Steinberg
http://www.geekisp.com/