I run qmailadmin/vpopmail in a large-ish organization with lots of
incoming mail servers, with a few different architectures.

/export/ is on a netapp, NFS mounted on all machines
/export/home/vpopmail/bin is a symlink to
/export/home/vpopmail/arch/<arch>/bin

<arch> is: `uname -s`-`uname -r | awk -F\. '{ print $1 }'`-`uname -m`

this way, all machines simply reference /export/home/vpopmail/bin, and
no matter what the architecture, it all works.  include and lib are
referenced similarly.

while compiling qmailadmin, it is imperative that qmailadmin stay
architecture neutral.  I thought to use
--enable-vpopmaildir=/export/home/vpopmail, because if qmailadmin is on
one of my sun sparcs, my freebsd machines need to be able to execute the
commands in .qmail-default.

There is a problem where qmailadmin reads
/export/home/vpopmail/include/vpopmail_config.h, sees VPOPMAILDIR and
then sets the vpopmail home directory to
/export/home/vpopmail/arch/SunOS-5-sun4u.

This yields:

| /export/home/vpopmail/arch/SunOS-5-sun4u/bin/vdelivermail '' foo

inside .qmail-default, instead of

| /export/home/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail '' foo

Just go get going, I edited
/export/home/vpopmail/include/vpopmail_config.h, and changed VPOPMAILDIR
to /export/home/vpopmail, compiled, and then changed it back.

There should just be an easier way, especially when specifying
--enable-vpopmaildir during configure.

--

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net./