Hi,

I'm relatively new to qmail admin, and have searched the documentation, FAQ and various list archives for help with this problem, to no avail.

I have taken over administration of a qmail/vpopmail installation and need to swap a domain with another domain which is currently its alias - ie, so that the 'aliasing' is reversed. I followed these steps...

1. Shut down qmail with 'qmailctl stop'. Had issues with smtpd not stopping, so I ran svc -d qmail-smtpd, which stopped it.

2. Edit /var/qmail/users/assign and change these two lines...

+mydomain.com-:mydomain.com:89:89:/home/vpopmail/domains/mydomain.com:-::
+myaliasdomain.com-:mydomain.com:89:89:/home/vpopmail/domains/mydomain.com:-::--

to read

+mydomain.com-:myaliasdomain.com:89:89:/home/vpopmail/domains/myaliasdomain.com:-::
+myaliasdomain.com-:myaliasdomain.com:89:89:/home/vpopmail/domains/myaliasdomain.com:-::--

3. Update /var/qmail/users/cdb by running qmail-newu. Ran 'strings cdb | grep domain.com' to ensure changes had taken affect.

4. Copy /home/vpopmail/domains/mydomain.com tree to /home/vpopmail/domains/myaliasdomain.com, retaining all file permissions and ownership ('rsync -az mydomain.com/ myaliasdomain.com').

5. Edit /home/vpopmail/domains/myaliasdomain.com/vpasswd and change all directories to be under /home/vpopmail/domains/myaliasdomain.com

6. Reboot server

I would have thought that these steps would be enough, but having followed them, mail is still being delivered to the old directory (/home/vpopmail/domains/mydomain.com).

I'm guessing somewhere in the qmail or vpopmail config I've left a reference to the old directory. I can not for the life of me work out where it might be though.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

peter skipworth
argo open solutions