From: "Marius Karthaus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 4:28 AM
Subject: [qmailtoaster] greylisting

Hi,

I was wondering if there were any plans to support greylisting.
Greylisting is a wonderfull way of stopping spam and viri.
In a nutshell greylisting gives an error to the sender of an email the
first time the combination "from, to, IP" is encountered.
A normal mailserver will retry a few minutes later, this second attempt
is allowed and mail is accepted.
After a few succesfull sessions the combination "from, to, IP" is
whitelisted and consequent email will not be delayed.
If a sender IP has shown that it did a few different good sessions this
IP can be whitlisted also on the basis that this is probably a good
mailserver, allowing all mail to be delivered from that IP.
This works because most spam and virusses are sent by infected computers
that do not behave like a 'normal' mailserver. Errors are ignored and
there is no regard for the rfc on how to re-deliver temporarily failed
mail.
there is more to read on:

http://greylisting.org/
http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/