Gabriel Lai,

The system works fine with those ports closed on the LAN firewall.
I just didnt want to block them if there was a reason for them to
be open.

Generally, you want to keep as many ports closed as possible.
Please keep in mind - opening ports on a firewall tends to be done
to allow the world in. Its not done to allow traffic out. But of
course I'm talking basic router/firewall equipment.

The more expensive stuff requires specifically allowing traffic in
either direction. Too much work as far as Im concerned.

DNS seems too much of a security threat to me. It hands out
information. Info that theres no need for the world to know. Same
is true for the Windows file sharing ports.

All this came about because Ive had to set up the qmail toaster's
internal firewall by hand. At first, I opened all the ports found
in the firewall.sh script.

In all the times that I installed Q.T. (while I was learning it),
every time I ran the firewall.sh script from the website, it
killed all traffic in and out of the box.

My server only has one nic, and its all just standard hardware.
Dont know why the iptables set by the script prevents all traffic.
I think its the script...

I even close the 110 tcp pop3 port now, since I can use the 995
ssl pop3 port with my wonderful toaster.