Nigel Reed wrote:

I've been asked to install CentOS on a machine with 4 hard disks, they
want RAID 5 on it. 3 disks plus the hot spare. My understanding is that
you cannot boot from disks that are in the RAID array but would need
it's own disk?

I'm asking here because I know many of you are using CentOS. Any tried
booting from a USB pendrive in lieu of a boot disk? How about swap, that
cannot be on a RAID partition either, right?

Appreciate follow-ups in private so not to disrupt the list too much :)
You CAN do it, but it's not advised. I'm assuming you're using a hardware RAID.... It's advisable to put your boot/OS on a regular drive, so if something goes wrong you're not rebuilding the whole RAID. Sounds funny, but from my understanding that's the way it is. I use a 20G drive for boot/OS/swap, and use the RAID for the /home and /webpages directories. Just my setup.