Hi there!

I need to understand the various features offered by the contents of the ‘/var/qmail’ directory so as to maintain my Qmail Toaster setup properly.

I have two Qmail Toaster mail servers running for our University in India. Both the servers are at separate locations (the University having two campuses and each campus has separate domain names).

I would like to explain my setup first here…

At the main campus, the various departments have separate sub-domains under the primary domain. (e.g. the primary domain is ‘rsduniv.ac.in’ whilst the departments have subdomains like ‘chemical.rsduniv.ac.in’, ‘geo.rsduniv.ac.in’, …). The Qmailtoaster mail server at the main campus accepts mail for the primary domain as well as for all the sub-domains. Similarly the second campus of the University has the domain name ‘rsdunivpk.ac.in’ and it also has sub-domains for around seven departments. The Qmailtoaster mail server at the second campus also accepts mail for the ‘rsdunivpk.ac.in’ domain as well as its sub-domains.

The e-mail servers installed at both the campuses run the older versions of Qmailtoaster and now I want to update them to the latest package. I have installed a second mail server at the mail campus and installed the QmailToaster packages there on Centos 4.2. While inspecting the contents of files in the ‘/var/qmail’ directory, I found that:

1) The ‘/var/qmail/alias’ directory has three files all of which contain the postmaster’s e-mail address. However, the domain portion of the e-mail address is ‘ac.in’ while my domain name is ‘rsduniv.ac.in’.

Should I rectify the address as '&[EMAIL PROTECTED]'?

2) Also, in /var/qmail/control', the files - 'defaultdomain', 'defaulthost', 'plusdomain' mentions the domain name as 'ac.in'. I feel that it should be 'rsduniv.ac.in' in the 'defaultdomain' and 'plusdomain' files while the 'defaulthost' file should contain the FQDN of my mail server. Isn't it?

3) Kindly explain the functions of the following files contained in the /var/qmail/control' directory:

            Badloadertypes, badmailfrom, badmailto, concurrencyincoming, concurrencyremote, databytes, logcount

4) I would like configure the two e-mail servers at both the campuses in such a fashion so that besides accepting the mails for their own sub-domains, they should also become the caching mail servers for each other, so that in case one server is down, the mails for that server should get cached on the other and vice versa. How to do that?

Thanking you in anticipation...

Supriyo Banerjee