Erik,

Since when?  My toaster has SMTP-AUTH enabled.  If, when you telnet to
your toaster on port 25, your 'ehlo' command returns "250-STARTTLS",
your toaster supports SMTP-authentication.

You can generate your base-64 encoded AUTH string by issuing the
following command when ssh'ed into any server that has perl, and the
MIME::Base64 module (to be used during the SMTP-authentication session):

perl -MMIME::Base64 -e 'print
encode_base64("[EMAIL PROTECTED]")'

telnet toaster1.peak.org 25
Trying 207.55.97.138...
Connected to mail.nu-world.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 toaster1.peak.org Welcome to the Qmail Toaster smtp Server. Be
excellent to each other. ESMTP
ehlo me
250-toaster1.peak.org Welcome to the Qmail Toaster smtp Server. Be
excellent to each other.
250-STARTTLS
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 20971520
250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5
AUTH PLAIN AGpvc2VwaGxAbnUtd29ybGQuY29tAG5vdG15cmVhbHBhc3N3b3Jk
235 ok, go ahead (#2.0.0)
mail from:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
250 ok
rcpt to:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
250 ok
data
354 go ahead
Subject: This is only a test!

Testing... 1, 2, 3...
.
250 ok 1142529146 qp 31154
quit
221 toaster1.peak.org Welcome to the Qmail Toaster smtp Server. Be
excellent to each other.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Sincerely,

--