If you have not increased the value of CHKUSER_RCPTLIMIT in /etc/tcprules.d/tcp.smtp that might be the cause.  I certainly had to raise this because of inbound mailing lists that wanted to send to all of our email domain users using one connect (thanks, Exchange!).

You should have lines in there with your local subnet(s) and this is where you add the CHKUSER_RCPTLIMIT variable and set to an appropriate value.  This is for internal users to send to all local users.

You will have a “blank address”  allow for incoming messages.  This also needs to have CHKUSER_RCPTLIMIT added for inbound access to that number of recipients during one connection.

Examples:

/etc/tcprules.d/tcp.smtp:

:allow,BADMIMETYPE="",BADLOADERTYPE="M",CHKUSER_RCPTLIMIT="80",CHKUSER_WRONGRCPTLIMIT="3",QMAILQUEUE="/var/qmail/bin/simscan"

10.243.1.:allow,RELAYCLIENT="",CHKUSER_RCPTLIMIT="80"

10.243.2.:allow,RELAYCLIENT="",CHKUSER_RCPTLIMIT="80"

Once this file is changed, rebuild the cdb (qmailctl cdb) and restart qmail (shouldn’t smtp be the only process that has to restart???).

As stated, this has worked for me.  Good luck!

Robert