Ehm..............., I don't thing so....!!! :)
I thing clamav-toaster can running without that /var/run/clamav/ directory.
I also don't have /var/run/clamav/ directory. But, after I upgrade clamav-toaster-0.88.1 with clamav-toaster-0.88.2, everything is okey.

this is log for freshclam (before update or still using version 0.88.1 of clamav :
#freshclam
ClamAV update process started at Fri May  5 13:58:43 2006
WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.88.1 Recommended version: 0.88.2
DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/faq.html
main.cvd is up to date (version: 38, sigs: 51206, f-level: 7, builder: tkojm)
daily.cvd is up to date (version: 1444, sigs: 3072, f-level: 8, builder:
ccordes)
WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Current functionality level = 7, recommended = 8
DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/faq.html
and, this is log for freshclam after I update that anti virus:
#freshclam
ClamAV update process started at Fri May  5 14:23:56 2006
main.cvd is up to date (version: 38, sigs: 51206, f-level: 7, builder: tkojm)
daily.cvd is up to date (version: 1444, sigs: 3072, f-level: 8, builder:
ccordes)
Whats I do?
Before I upgrade clamav-toaster anti virus, I stopped my qmail
#/etc/init.d/qmail stop

Then:
#ps axf

NB:
If any program of qmail still running after do that syntax (ps axf) such us qmail-smtpd, qmail-send, qmail-popup and qmail-pop3d, You should kill this program (if still running!).
#kill -9 (pid number for qmail-* program).

After that, rebuild clamav with your distro.
If finished, do this:
#rpm -Uvh /path/clamav-toaster-0.88.2-1.2.14*rpm

Start again your qmail program:
#/etc/init.d/qmail start
#ps axf |grep defunct (for checking defunct program if needed).

My explain is open file configuration of clamav, there is /etc/clamd.conf
#vi /etc/clamd.conf
Then:
search option using keywords "Pid" (in console /Pid).
The default of PidFile is of like above :

# This option allows you to save a process identifier of the listening
# daemon (main thread).
# Default: disabled
#PidFile /var/run/clamd.pid
in another distro may be :