Hello Shai.. thanks for the help, i'am actually trying to migrate mdaemon to QT. And my present mdaemon relaying all outgoing email to isp smtp server, and i also hosting our email to one isp and of course the mdaemon have to receive all incoming email from that isp (mx = isp mx).. so how to configure it...

Thanks a lot

Cahyo

Shai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> menulis:
On 5/9/06, Nurcahyo Santoso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hello all... how to configure QT so that QT send all outgoing emails trough
> internet service provider smtp server and also QT get all incoming emails
> from internet service provider smtp server...
>
> Thank You
> Cahyo

Hi,

You asked two questions for which one I know the answer to, the other
isn't exactly right as IMHO.

1. To have your mail server relay all outgoing mail through your ISP,
you need to make sure of two things:
a. make sure your ISP will allow mail relay without needing to
authenticate to the SMTP server.
b. edit /var/qmail/control/smtproutes and place a line like this
(with the : at the beginning):
:mail.ispsmtp.net
this will make sure that your QT will relay all emails through
your ISP's smtp server.

2. email does not arrive from your ISP. It arrives *to* your SMTP
server. That is done by configuring your domain's DNS MX records to
point to your SMTP server. So, if someone was to send an email to your
email at [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; then it would search the MX record
responsible of handling mails to yourdomain.com and connect to that
SMTP server to relay the email.

I hope I was clear and not too confusing :)

Cheers,
Shai